- Finished second on his team with 49 points (21-28--49) and tied for the team lead with nine power-play goals in 60 games in 2007-08.
- Participated in the 2008 Top Prospects Game, tallying a goal in his team's 8-4 victory.
- Is the younger brother of Eric (Carolina), Marc (NY Rangers) and Jordan (Pittsburgh). The Staal brothers would become the first family to have four NHL players since the Sutter family had six.
- He played on his first hockey team with the Norwest Stars at the age of five.
- Credits his parents and Sudbury head coach Mike Foligno for having had the most influence on his career for everything that they have taught him.
- The best advice he received came from his older brothers, "don't put too much pressure on yourself - it's just a game."
- He patterns his game after San Jose's Joe Thornton, "he makes everyone around him better. "
- His most memorable hockey moment was scoring the game-winning overtime goal in the 2006-07 OHL Conference Final.
- If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Steve Yzerman and his most embarrassing hockey moment is falling on a break-away.
- If he could be in any one movie he would choose Anchorman and the most embarrassing song on his iPod is "Piece of me" by Britney Spears.
NHL Team: San Jose Sharks
NHL Player: San Jose's Joe Thornton
Shootout move: Shot
Practice Drill: Scrimmage
Video Game: Halo 3
Movie: Happy Gilmore
TV Show: Prison Break
Actor: Will Ferrell
Artist: Keith Urban
Pump-up song: "Sandstorm" by Da Rude
Food to cook: Grilled cheese
Sport (other than hockey): Golf
Activity away from the rink: Relaxing
Toy growing up: Mini sticks
Place to shop: The Mall
Place to visit: Thunder Bay