Guy Behind the Guy: Self-Protection
|Index | Archive|
Our department is obviously modestly constructed, with just Kyle and I serving in the media relations department. Brian Tatum, as Director of Team Operations, oversees the media relations and community relations departments, along with handling all the day-to-day business of the team in terms of travel and a million other behind-the-scenes details. But when we think about our little team-within-the-team, Brian, Kyle and I are the little PR-Team Services unit for the Carolina Hurricanes.
Apparently, it’s a dangerous place to work lately. Within the past four days, two of the three men in our little unit have suffered facial lacerations that either did require, or should have required, stitches. The injuries occurred outside of work, but in seeing both Kyle and Brian with their facial cuts, a number of the players and hockey staff employees turned to me yesterday to express their concern for my well-being.
“You better be careful,” said Scott Walker. “These things happen in threes.”
So, as you can see by the BlackBerry Bold photo attached, the equipment guys decided to help me take action in order to protect myself.
Given the positive outcome last night, I am hoping that doesn’t mean I need to wear a helmet to every morning skate now…
- Paul Maurice will join The Insiders, Mark Thomas and Scott Jackson, on 99.9. FM The Fan today at 5:40 p.m.
- Tuomo Ruutu will be Mike Maniscalco’s guest on 99.9 The Fan’s Canes Corner tonight, which will air live from MacGregor Draft House beginning at 7 p.m.
- Justin Williams will be on with Adam Gold and Joe Ovies Thursday morning sometime around 9:30 or 9:40 a.m.
- Eric Staal spoke with ESPN.com’s David Amber for a fun Q & A that the website posted over the weekend.
- UNC-TV, North Carolina’s public television network (No commercials, no mercy)… was in the house last night to work on a feature they are putting together about Katherine Fritsch, our beloved anthem singer.The feature will air on Monday, Dec. 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Also, just a reminder that Paul Branecky continues to post the post-practice audio that we are gathering with our BlackBerry Bolds after each Hurricanes media availability. You can hear them by going to Paul’s Tracking the Storm blog each day. Today, we posted sound of Paul Maurice and Frank Kaberle. Frank was activated from injured reserve this morning and was the only Hurricane that took the ice today at the RecZone.
Comments for Mike?