Prospect Recap: Hurricanes 4, Wild 1
Centre I.C.E. Arena Huntington Rink
Traverse City, MI
Sept. 10, 2009 - 6:30 p.m.
The Hurricanes’ rookie squad takes to the ice in the championship game of the NHL Prospects Camp in
Following the game, the Hurricanes will announce their training camp roster, including players from the tournament. Training camp begins with physicals and physical testing on Saturday, and the team will hit the ice at the
Injuries to forward Justin McCrae and defenseman Michal Jordan have left the Hurricanes with just 16 healthy skaters and two goaltenders for tonight’s tilt. The injuries forced head coach Jeff Daniels and assistant coach Geordie Kinnear to make changes to the lineup that they have utilized throughout the tournament. Here are the reinvented forward lines and defensive pairings.
Bowman – Sutter – Boychuk
Paradis – Dodge – Kennedy
Terry – Reed – Pistilli
Morneau – Chaput
Reid – McBain
Day – Bellemore
- Carolina strikes first as Chris Terry's point shot slides past Kuemper at 6:16 of the opening frame. Assists to Matt Pistilli and Beau Schmitz.
- Matt Kennedy called for slashing called at 7:11 of the first period. Minnesota has the first power play of the game.
- Zack Torquato makes a great pass from behind the net to Chad Rau in the slot as the Wild tie the game with a power-play goal at 7:40 of the first period. Kristopher Foucault credited with the second assist.
- Chris Terry whistled for hooking at 16:53 of the first. Minnesota going on the power play again.
- Canes killed off that power play – not much offense from the Wild.
- As advertised, Minnesota does a good job in their own zone, limiting scoring chances and shots on goal. Shots at the end of the first period: Minnesota 11, Carolina 4.
- Zach Boychuk out-skates Minnesota’s defense and scores unassisted at 7:01 of the second period! Beautiful play and amazing finish… that was somethin’. Unassisted, since he’s the guy that stole the puck.
- Brett Bellemore called for tripping at 18:47 of the second period. Minnesota on the power play for a third time.
- Brandon Sutter scores shorthanded with 43.5 seconds remaining in the second period! Wrist shot from 25 feet that found its way under Kuemper’s right shoulder and over the blocker! Heck of a play! Shots: Wild 19, Canes 14 at the time of the goal (and the end of the second period, for that matter). Canes lead 3-1!
- A bit of a melee at the 2:56 mark of the third period in the corner of Carolina’s zone as the teams took part in some extra-curricular pushing and shoving after the whistle. For the Canes, Chris Terry gets two min for charging, Matt Pistilli gets two for roughing, while Marco Scandella roughing for the Wild. Minny’s fourth power play (I think) to Carolina’s zero power plays. Canes killed it off, thanks in large part to a few great saves by Mike Murphy. Third period shots through 5:30 of play = Wild 7, Canes 0.
- Minnesota’s Zack Torquato whistled for hooking at 9:18 of the third period. Not too much doing for the Canes on their first power play.
- Carolina’s Matt Pistilli called for holding with 6:15 remaining in the third period. Kind of a ticky-tack call, if you ask me. Nothin’ for nothin’, but I’m pretty sure that’s five power plays for Minnesota to one for Carolina.
- Stefan Chaput scores into the empty net with 1:05 remaining to seal the deal for Carolina! Your 2009 NHL Prospects Tournament champions!! Assist on the empty-netter to Drayson Bowman.
- Final shots: Carolina 22, Wild 32.
- Official score sheet