Hurricanes Introduce New Home and Road Uniforms
Carolina will debut classic look starting with 2013-14 season
“The process of making these changes began several years ago,” said Rutherford. “We are pleased with the results, and proud that our team was able to design the new look internally. Doug Warf’s staff including Ben Aycock, Andrew Roman and Lauren Baxter devoted a lot of time and energy to this process, taking input from our hockey department to create uniforms that our players love, and our fans will hopefully enjoy as well.”
Several hundred uniform renderings were created and refined during a two-year period to create two distinct uniform sets designed to be classic and timeless. The major changes are outlined below.
To both sweaters:
- There is a smaller, lighter crest on both sweaters. The logo outline was changed from metallic to matte silver finish.
- The warning flag pattern was moved from the base of the sweater to inside the neckline.
- Lettering and numbering changed to a clean, round, sans-serif-based font.
- The shoulder patches were removed from both sweaters.
To the red sweater:
- A cleaner look was established, highlighting the team’s dominant color. All striping is white, with black being used in the neckline and to outline letters and numbers.
- Bold white stripes highlight the arms and base for a classic look.
- White lacing is used on the black collar.
To the white sweater:
- A red shoulder yoke was established, which extends on the back to include the nameplate. The feature is unique in the NHL.
- Numbers and letters were changed from red with a black outline to black with a silver outline.
- Bold striping to establish a classic look.
To the pants and gloves:
- The Hurricanes logo and bottom black band were removed from the pants.
- All glove sets are predominantly red with small white highlights. Black and silver has been removed.
The new sweaters are expected to be available for fans beginning in early September, and Hurricanes season ticket holders will be able to purchase the sweaters before they go on sale to the general public.
For a complete look at the new uniforms, including in-depth details, videos and photos, please click here.