Supporting the North Carolina School System is a priority for the Carolina Hurricanes. Through the Pick Up a Book and Read initiative, the Hurricanes support and assist teachers’ educational efforts in the classroom. Our goal is not only to challenge students’ reading abilities, but also to help them achieve their personal reading goals.
The Pick Up a Book and Read program motivates children to feel excited about reading. By providing program incentives, we hope to propel children to a higher reading level while encouraging them to take responsibility for their reading. Students use a score card to track their minutes read and have it initialed by an adult. All types of reading are encouraged. Independent reading or to another person from sources such as books, magazines and newspapers qualify for the program.
The program is for grades 3-5 and lasts for any six-week span from Oct. 19, 2015 through Feb. 19, 2016. At the end of the selected six weeks, the teacher overseeing the program records each of his/her student’s minutes either on the web, via mail or by dropping the scores off at PNC Arena. Scores will be tallied and compared to see which students and teachers receive prizes. The last day to register is Dec. 28, 2015.
Each participating classroom will receive a Pick Up a Book and Read poster, a bookmark for each student and a reading scorecard for each student.
Registration is now closed.
Click here to submit results!
Prizes and Incentives
For the Students:
- All participating students will receive a certificate of accomplishment.
- Students who read over 1,500 minutes will receive a Pick Up a Book and Read pencil case (while supplies last)
- Students who read over 2,500 minutes will receive Pick Up a Book and Read drawstring bag (while supplies last)
- The top reader from each classroom will receive a special All-Star certificate.
- The top reader from each grade level in each school will receive four (4) tickets to a predetermined Carolina Hurricanes hockey game.
- The overall top reader from each grade will receive a Carolina Hurricanes jersey.
- The overall top 15 readers will be invited to a special Pick Up a Book and Read luncheon at PNC Arena.
- Based on final reading results, the top five schools will host an on-site visit by the Carolina Hurricanes mascot Stormy and the Community Relations department.
- Each teacher that has a class participating in the Pick Up A Book and Read program will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- The top five teachers with the highest reading results will receive two (2) tickets to a predetermined Carolina Hurricanes hockey game.
At the end of each school’s six-week program, teachers can submit up to five (5) essays from their classroom readers to the Carolina Hurricanes. Out of all the essay applicants, 15 winners will be chosen and awarded a recognition lunch with their teacher at PNC Arena. Essays are due by March 7, 2016.
Essays (two page max) are to address the following questions about the books or articles read:
1. What was the main story line?
2. What did you like best about this selection, AND what did you like least about this selection?
3. What did you learn from your reading?
If you would like to learn more about the program, please contact Laura Fazzina at (919) 861-5494 or firstname.lastname@example.org.