Supporting the North Carolina School System is a priority for the Carolina Hurricanes. Through the Pick Up a Book and Read initiative, the Hurricanes support and assist teachers’ educational efforts in the classroom. Our goal is not only to challenge students’ reading abilities, but also to help them achieve their personal reading goals.
The Pick Up a Book and Read program motivates children to feel excited about reading. By providing program incentives, we hope to propel children to a higher reading level while encouraging them to take responsibility for their reading. Students use a reading score card to track their minutes read and have it initialed by an adult. All types of reading are encouraged. Independent reading or reading to another person from sources such as books, magazines and newspapers qualify for the program.
The program is for grades 3-5 and lasts for any six-week span from Oct. 27, 2014 through Feb. 27, 2015. At the end of the selected six weeks, the teacher overseeing the program records each of his/her student’s minutes either on the web, via mail, or by dropping the scores off at PNC Arena. Scores will be tallied and compared to see which students and teachers receive prizes. The last day to register is Dec. 29, 2014.
Each participating classroom will receive a Pick Up a Book and Read poster, a bookmark for each student and a reading scorecard for each student.
Registration and Results
- Register for the 2014-15 school year
- Submit results for the 2014-15 school year
- Coming Soon! View results from the 2013-14 school year
Prizes and Incentives
For the Students:
- All students will receive a certificate of accomplishment.
- Students who read over 1,500 minutes will receive a Pick Up a Book and Read armband (while supplies last)
- Students who read over 2,500 minutes will receive a Pick Up a Book and Read color-changing cup (while supplies last)
- The top reader from each classroom will receive a special certificate.
- The top reader from each grade level in each school will receive four (4) tickets to a predetermined Carolina Hurricanes hockey game.
- The overall top reader from each grade will receive a Carolina Hurricanes jersey and will be invited to a special Pick Up a Book and Read luncheon at PNC Arena.
- Based on final reading results, the top five schools will host an on-site visit by the Carolina Hurricanes mascot Stormy and the Community Relations department.
- Each teacher that has a class participating in the Pick Up A Book and Read program will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- The top five teachers with the highest reading results will receive two (2) tickets to a predetermined Carolina Hurricanes hockey game and be featured on our website along with their students.
Optional Essay Prize
At the end of each school’s six-week program, teachers can submit up to five (5) essays from their classroom readers to the Carolina Hurricanes. Out of all the essay applicants, 20 winners will be chosen and awarded a recognition lunch with their teacher at PNC Arena. Essays are due by March 2, 2014.
If you would like to learn more about the program, please contact the Community Relations Department at (919) 861-2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.