The second annual Canes 5k presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina and assisted by Raleigh Orthopaedic will take place at PNC Arena on Sunday, Sept. 14 at 9 a.m.
The event includes a 5k race around PNC Arena and surrounding areas, 100- and 200-yard kids’ dashes, multiple inflatables, and appearances by Stormy and the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad. Members of the Carolina Hurricanes as well as the team’s staff and alumni are scheduled to participate. A pancake breakfast for all participants will follow the 5k race.
New for 2014, participants can build and join their own running or walking teams and fundraise in support of the Kids 'N Community Foundation.
If you aren't ready to take on the full course but still want to be a part of the day and support the Kids 'N Community Foundation, we invite fans to sign up and walk or run the first portion of the course (one-mile loop around PNC Arena).
Kids 'N Community Foundation
All proceeds will benefit the Carolina Hurricanes Kids ‘N Community Foundation, which provides much needed funding to children’s charities and education programs throughout North Carolina. The Foundation has funded scholarship programs, youth hockey, educational and literacy efforts, children’s health programs, the arts and other children’s-related initiatives.
In the 2013-2014 year of funding the Kids ‘N Community Foundation donated $582,000 to 32 different children’s charitable organizations in the Triangle and throughout the state. This number brings the team and Foundation’s donation total to $12 million in cash and in-kind services since 1997.
Annually, the Foundation provides cash and in-kind contributions of more than $1 million to charitable and educational programs in North Carolina. Every member of the Hurricanes organization is actively involved in community activities, and the Hurricanes take great pride in the ability to have a positive impact in our state.
For more information on the Kids ‘N Community Foundation, visit their site.
- Canes 5k presented by BCBSNC: $25 (After Monday, June 30 through Tuesday, Sept. 9, online registration price is $30. Day-of-race registration price is $35.)
- 100-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 6 and under): $10
- 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 7-10): $10
All registered participants will be eligible for special drawings, including two 12-game plans for the 2014-15 season and autographed Hurricanes items.
You can pick up your race packet at PNC Arena on Friday, Sept. 12 from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and 4:00-6:00 p.m. or on Sunday, Sept. 14 inside PNC Arena next to the box office from 7:30 a.m. until 8:45 a.m.
Race Day Schedule
- 7:30 a.m. – Registration and packet pick-up inside PNC Arena next to the box office
- 9:00 a.m. – Canes 5k presented by BCBSNC
- 9:30 a.m. – Pancake breakfast for all participants, compliments of the Carolina Hurricanes and PNC Arena
- 10:10 a.m. – 100-Yard and 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash
- 10:15 a.m. – Award ceremony and drawing for participant enter-to-wins
- Top three (3) overall (male/female) – winner of the race will receive two 12-game plans for the 2014-15 season
- Top overall (male and female) from the following age groups:
- 19 and Under
- 20-29 (male and female)
- 30-39 (male and female)
- 40-49 (male and female)
- 50-59 (male and female)
- 60 and above (male and female)
- 1st Place – an 18-person suite for a mutually agreed upon game with a $500 food and beverage credit
- 2nd Place – ten (10) ticket vouchers to a mutually agreed upon game and a team-signed stick
- 1st Place – eight (8) tickets to a mutually agreed upon game, a team-signed jersey and a meet-and-greet with a favorite player following a game
- 2nd Place – four (4) tickets to a mutually agreed upon game, a team-signed jersey and two Olympia rides
- 3rd Place – team-signed jersey
Where do I go when arriving for the race?
Upon arrival at PNC Arena, you will be directed by parking attendants to the appropriate spot. Parking is free. If you need to sign up or pick up your packet (race bib and t-shirt), please enter PNC Arena next to the box office and follow the signs. If you have everything, the pre-race ceremony will begin at 8:45 a.m. followed by the race at 9:00 a.m.
Can I sign up for the Canes 5k on the day of the race?
Yes. On Sept. 14, individuals can sign up starting at 7:30 a.m. Patrons should enter PNC Arena next to the box office. Registration will close 10-15 minutes before the race at 9:00 a.m.
We will be accepting cash, credit card or check. The cost for the 5k on race day will be $35, and the Kids Dash will be $10. Checks should be made out to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
Online registration will close on Tuesday, Sept. 9 at 11:59 p.m.
Please note, the last day to guarantee a t-shirt or size is posted as Wednesday, Sept. 3. It is our goal, however, to have enough for all sign ups, so we have over-ordered a number of shirts that strives to meet all race-day demands.
How do I pick up my packet?
There are two options. There will be a packet pick-up on Thursday, Sept. 11 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday, Sept. 12 from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at PNC Arena. Fans can park in the VIP lot and enter via the VIP entrance.
On race day, fans will be directed by parking attendants on where to park, and beginning at 7:30 a.m., fans can enter PNC Arena by the box office to pick up their packet.
Where will members of the Carolina Hurricanes team and staff be?
Members of the team and front office staff will be introduced at 8:45 a.m. on stage during the pre-race ceremony.
Will I be timed?
All individuals in the 5k will have a chip placed on their bib.
Will there be water on the course?
There will be one water station around the 1.25 mile mark and at the finish line. Fans are allowed to bring their own source of water/sport drink.
Can family and friends attend?
Yes, the event is open to the public!
Are the drinks and pancakes for the general public?
The drinks and pancake breakfast are for participants only.