The fourth annual Canes 5k assisted by Raleigh Orthopaedic and Quintiles will take place at PNC Arena on Sunday, Sept. 18 at 9 a.m.
Race registration includes a ticket voucher for a select Hurricanes home game in November, customized race bib, t-shirt, post-race breakfast and a chance to win raffle prizes!
The event includes a 5k race around PNC Arena and surrounding areas, 100- and 200-yard kids dashes, multiple inflatables, and appearances by Stormy and the MyEyeDr. Storm Squad. Members of the Carolina Hurricanes as well as the team’s staff and alumni are scheduled to participate.
Participants can build and join their own running or walking teams and fundraise in support of the Kids 'N Community Foundation.
If you aren't ready to take on the full course but still want to be a part of the day and support the Kids 'N Community Foundation, we invite fans to sign up and walk or run the first portion of the course (one-mile loop around PNC Arena). All proceeds will benefit the Carolina Hurricanes Kids ‘N Community Foundation, which provides much needed funding to children’s charities and education programs throughout North Carolina.
Click here to view a map of this year's course.
The last day to register online for the Canes 5k is Monday, Sept. 12. If you still would like to participate you may sign up at PNC Arena during packet pick-up on Thursday, Sept. 15 and Friday, Sept. 16 (times TBD) as well as the morning of the race on Sept. 18.
- Canes 5k: $45 (price before July 11)
- Canes 5k: $50 (price between July 12 to Sept. 12)
- Day-of-race registration price is $50
- 100-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 6 and under): $10 (price before July 11)
- 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 7-10): $10 (price before July 11)
- 100-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 6 and under): $15 (price between July 12 to Sept. 12)
- 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 7-10): $15 (price between July 12 to Sept. 12)
Each 5k participant (excludes Caniac Kids Dash participants) will receive a ticket voucher that can be redeemed for one upper-level ticket (valued up to $45) for any bronze-tiered Hurricanes home game in November. Upgrades to lower-level seats will be available for a small fee, and additional tickets at a special rate will also be available to runners (to be determined after the schedule is released in June). Season Ticket Members have the option to donate their voucher to the Kids 'N Community Foundation in exchange for a tax receipt.
To guarantee getting your shirt size and customized bib, you must register no later than Wednesday, Sept. 7. We will strive to have extra shirts available, but we will not guarantee that we will have your correct size. If we should run out of shirts on race day, we unfortunately will not be able to re-order.
You can pick up your race packet at PNC Arena on Thursday, Sept. 15 and Friday, Sept. 16 (times TBD) or on Sunday, Sept. 18 inside PNC Arena next to the box office from 7:30-8:45 a.m.
Practice runs will be hosted at PNC Arena each month leading up to the Canes 5k beginning in May. These practice runs will give registered or interested participants the opportunity to run the course and get a feel for race day. For more details regarding the practice runs, click here.
Practice runs will be held on the following dates:
- Tuesday, May 24 at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 28 at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 26 at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 16 at 7 p.m.
- 7:30 a.m. – Registration and packet pick-up inside PNC Arena next to the box office
- 8:45 a.m. – Pre-race ceremony and introduction of Carolina Hurricanes players
- 9:00 a.m. – Canes 5k
- 9:30 a.m. – Post-race breakfast for all participants, compliments of the Carolina Hurricanes and PNC Arena
- 10:00 a.m. – 100-Yard and 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash
- 10:05 a.m. – Award ceremony and drawing for participant enter-to-wins
Race Awards and Prizes
Prizes and awards will be given out to the overall winner of the race, the top three (3) overall male and female winners, and the top overall male and female from each age group. The overall winner and top three (3) overall male and female winners are NOT eligible for the age groups awards. In addition, there will be prizes for the top fundraising team and top individual fundraiser.
- The overall winner of the race will receive two 11-game plans for the 2016-17 season and an award
- Top three (3) overall (male/female) will receive:
- 1st Place (male/female) – four tickets to a mutually agreed upon game & a team-signed jersey
- 2nd Place (male/female) – two tickets to a mutually agreed upon game & a team-signed stick
- 3rd place (male/female) – two tickets to a mutually agreed upon game & a signed puck
- Top overall (male and female) from the following age groups will receive an award (winners from the above categories are not eligible for age group awards):
- 19 and Under
- 20-29 (male and female)
- 30-39 (male and female)
- 40-49 (male and female)
- 50-59 (male and female)
- 60 and above (male and female)
Teams can be created and joined when registering for the Canes 5k or through the “My Fundraising Page” on the Canes 5k racereach website.
- 1st Place – a 10-person suite for a mutually agreed upon game
- 1st Place – Carolina Hurricanes prize pack including a team-signed jersey, player-signed replica hockey stick and player-signed puck
All proceeds will benefit the Carolina Hurricanes Kids ‘N Community Foundation, which provides much needed funding to children’s charities and education programs throughout North Carolina. The Foundation has funded scholarship programs, youth hockey, educational and literacy efforts, children’s health programs, the arts and other children’s-related initiatives.
In the 2015-2016 year of funding the Kids ‘N Community Foundation donated $575,000 to 27 different children’s charitable organizations in the Triangle and throughout the state. This number brings the team and Foundation’s donation total to $13 million in cash and in-kind services since 1997.
Annually, the Foundation provides cash and in-kind contributions of more than $1 million to charitable and educational programs in North Carolina. Every member of the Hurricanes organization is actively involved in community activities, and the Hurricanes take great pride in the ability to have a positive impact in our state.
For more information on the Kids ‘N Community Foundation, visit their site.