The third annual Canes 5k presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina and assisted by Raleigh Orthopaedic will take place at PNC Arena on Sunday, Sept. 13 at 9 a.m.
The event includes a 5k race around PNC Arena and surrounding areas. Click here to view this year's course. 100- and 200-yard kids dashes, multiple inflatables, and appearances by Stormy and the Eye Care Associates Storm Squad. Members of the Carolina Hurricanes as well as the team’s staff and alumni are scheduled to participate. A pancake breakfast for all participants will follow the 5k race.
|Interested in a practice run before the Canes 5k? Click here for more information, and click here to view the practice route.|
If you aren't ready to take on the full course but still want to be a part of the day and support the Kids 'N Community Foundation, we invite fans to sign up and walk or run the first portion of the course (one-mile loop around PNC Arena).
The last day to register online for the Canes 5k is Sept. 8. If you still would like to participate you may sign up at PNC Arena during packet pick-up on Thursday, Sept. 10 and Friday, Sept. 11 (times TBD).
Kids 'N Community Foundation
All proceeds will benefit the Carolina Hurricanes Kids ‘N Community Foundation, which provides much needed funding to children’s charities and education programs throughout North Carolina. The Foundation has funded scholarship programs, youth hockey, educational and literacy efforts, children’s health programs, the arts and other children’s-related initiatives.
In the 2013-2014 year of funding the Kids ‘N Community Foundation donated $582,000 to 32 different children’s charitable organizations in the Triangle and throughout the state. This number brings the team and Foundation’s donation total to $12 million in cash and in-kind services since 1997.
Annually, the Foundation provides cash and in-kind contributions of more than $1 million to charitable and educational programs in North Carolina. Every member of the Hurricanes organization is actively involved in community activities, and the Hurricanes take great pride in the ability to have a positive impact in our state.
For more information on the Kids ‘N Community Foundation, visit their site.
- Canes 5k presented by BCBSNC: $25 (price before April 30)
- Canes 5k presented by BCBSNC: $30 (price from May 1-July 12)
- Canes 5k presented by BSBCNC: $35 (price from July 13-Sept. 8)
- Day-of-race registration price is $40
- 100-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 6 and under): $10
- 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash (ages 7-10): $10
All registered participants will be eligible for special drawings, including two 11-game plans for the 2015-16 season and autographed Hurricanes items.
You can pick up your race packet at PNC Arena on Thursday, Sept. 10 and Friday, Sept. 11 (times TBD) or on Sunday, Sept. 13 inside PNC Arena next to the box office from 7:30-8:45 a.m.
Race Day Schedule
- 7:30 a.m. – Registration and packet pick-up inside PNC Arena next to the box office
- 8:45 a.m. – Pre-race ceremony and introduction of Carolina Hurricanes players
- 9:00 a.m. – Canes 5k presented by BCBSNC
- 9:30 a.m. – Pancake breakfast for all participants, compliments of the Carolina Hurricanes and PNC Arena
- 10:00 a.m. – 100-Yard and 200-Yard Caniac Kids Dash
- 10:05 a.m. – Award ceremony and drawing for participant enter-to-wins
- The overall winner of the race will receive two 11-game plans for the 2015-16 season and an award
- Top three (3) overall (male/female) will receive:
- 1st Place (both male/female) – Team signed jersey & six tickets (to mutually agreed upon game)
- 2nd Place (both male/female) – Team signed stick & four tickets (to mutually agreed upon game)
- 3rd Place (both male/female) – Signed puck and two tickets (to mutually agreed upon game)
- Top overall (male and female) from the following age groups will receive an award (winners from the above categories are not eligible for age group awards):
- 19 and Under
- 20-29 (male and female)
- 30-39 (male and female)
- 40-49 (male and female)
- 50-59 (male and female)
- 60 and above (male and female)
- 1st Place – a 12-person suite for a mutually agreed upon game
- 2nd Place – ten (10) tickets to a mutually agreed upon game
- 1st Place – eight (8) tickets to a mutually agreed upon game, a team-signed jersey and a meet-and-greet with a favorite player following a game
- 2nd Place – four (4) tickets to a mutually agreed upon game, a team-signed jersey and four Olympia rides
- 3rd Place – team-signed jersey
Where do I go when arriving for the race?
Upon arrival at PNC Arena, you will be directed by parking attendants to the appropriate spot. Parking is free. If you need to sign up or pick up your packet (race bib and t-shirt), please enter PNC Arena next to the box office and follow the signs. If you have everything, the pre-race ceremony will begin at 8:45 a.m. followed by the race at 9:00 a.m.
Can I sign up for the Canes 5k on the day of the race?
Yes. On Sept. 13, individuals can sign up starting at 7:30 a.m. Patrons should enter PNC Arena next to the box office. Registration will close 10-15 minutes before the race at 9:00 a.m.
We will be accepting cash, credit card or check. The cost for the 5k on race day will be $40, and the Kids Dash will be $10. Checks should be made out to the Kids ‘N Community Foundation.
Online registration will close on Tuesday, Sept. 8 at 11:59 p.m.
Please note, the last day to guarantee a t-shirt or size is posted as Tuesday, Sept. 1. It is our goal, however, to have enough for all sign ups, so we have over-ordered a number of shirts that strives to meet all race-day demands.
How do I pick up my packet?
There are two options. There will be a packet pick-up on Thursday, Sept. 10 and Friday, Sept. 11 (times TBD). Fans can park in the VIP lot and enter via the VIP entrance.
On race day, fans will be directed by parking attendants on where to park, and beginning at 7:30 a.m., fans can enter PNC Arena by the box office to pick up their packet.
Where will members of the Carolina Hurricanes team and staff be?
Members of the team and front office staff will be introduced at 8:45 a.m. on stage during the pre-race ceremony.
Will I be timed?
All individuals in the 5k will have a chip placed on their bib.
Will there be water on the course?
There will be one water station around the 1.25 mile mark, 2.75 mile mark & at the finish line. Fans are allowed to bring their own source of water/sport drink.
Can I run with a stroller or a dog?
Strollers are permitted, but we ask that you please start toward the back of the crowd. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate dogs for this race.
Can family and friends attend?
Yes, the event is open to the public!
Are the drinks and pancakes for the general public?
The drinks and pancake breakfast are for participants only.